Hello, my name is Cara and I am the founder of Big World of Little Dude. We are an educational platform teaching little ones social and emotional skills through a book series, music, puppets, and fun, hands-on activities. We like to blend nature, recycled objects, and items that you probably already have in your home to create beautiful crafts that are thoughtful and provide a moment to connect with your child and activate a conversation around social and emotional growth.
For this activity, take a nature walk with your child and observe all the nature around you.
What do you see? What do you hear? What do you smell? Walking in nature is an opportunity to talk with your child with no distractions. The research shows that when we spend uninterrupted time with our children, that this has a positive effect on social and emotional development. Keep in mind, it’s quality over quantity, so a little walk can be the right amount to give your child your undivided attention.
On your venture into nature, find an array of flowers, leaves, and a sturdy medium-sized stick to gather, place them in a basket for this engaging and beautiful activity to create your very own Nature Butterfly Wings.
- Contact paper
- Baking paper
- Take a nature walk and collect some flowers and leaves
- Draw an outline of wings on the baking paper
- Lay the outline underneath the contact paper, sticky side up
- Place the flowers on the contact paper
- Add another piece of contact paper on top of the flowers
- Place a stick in the middle of the wings, attach firmly
- Add elastic to make straps
- Put on the wings and soar!
Check out this quick video to give you an idea of how we made our Nature Butterfly Wings!
Have a beautiful day!